Welcome to Class 1!
Class Teacher: Miss Mitchell
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Graves & Mrs Skowron
PPA Cover: Miss Crawford (Thursday mornings)
General Class Information:
- After school club is available for pupils this term which takes place on a Monday 3:30-4:30pm. Please speak to a member of our team for more information.
- Our PE day is Wednesday. Pupils will need to wear black or navy joggers, leggings or shorts, a white t-shirt and trainers.
- Singing lessons take place every Tuesday morning.
- Reading books - we encourage pupils to read daily at home to help build confidence and fluency. Two books are sent home and are changed every three days.
- Library books are changed every Friday so please remember to return books on this day in order to receive a new one.
- Our Class Saint is St Teresa of Calcutta (Mother Teresa). Her feast day is the 5th of September.
We will be studying four main texts during this term:
The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch
Lost and Found
Hector and the Big Bad Knight
The Three Little Pigs
Whilst studying these texts, we will be learning all about instructions and will be writing our own instructions on how to make jam sandwiches... Yum! We will also continuing to work on our sentence structure and handwriting whilst we challenge ourselves to write our own narratives for 'Lost and Found' and 'The Three Little Pigs'. We will be focusing on learning new words and extending our vocabulary throughout all of our English lessons which will help us write a character descriptions in Spring 2.
We also have daily phonics lessons following the Read, Write, Inc programme.
We follow the White Rose Maths scheme. Our topics for this term are place value, addition and subtraction, length and height and weight and volume. During our maths lessons this Spring term, we will continue to practice counting forwards and backwards to 100 and practice arithmetic questions.
We are learning all about plants this term in science. We will be learning about the basic parts of plants and trees and investigating what they need to grow by planting our own seeds! We will also continue to explore the changes in seasons throughout the year as we move into Spring and observe the seasonal changes on the plants and trees in our school grounds.
Our topics for RE this term are 'Following Jesus' and 'Families and Celebrations'. We will also learn how important Easter is for Christians and how important Shabbat is for Jewish people.
Our focus is on the Industrial Revolution where we will find out what this term means, how technology changed during this period of time and be able to explain what makes the Industrial Revolution so significant.
During geography this term, we will be exploring the United Kingdom as our new topic. We will be finding out what countries make up the United Kingdom and will able to locate these on a map.
This term our focus is on gymnastics followed by a variation of games. PE takes place on a Wednesday so please ensure pupils arrive wearing a suitable PE kit so they are not having to change before.
Our topic for art is 'The Beauty of Flowers'.
Our topic for DT is 'Portable Snacks'.
This term of PSHCE topics are:
- Keeping Myself Safe
- Rights and Responsibilities
We follow the SCARF scheme - more information on this can be found on their website: coramlifeeducation.org.uk
Our focus for Spring 1 is programming, moving a robot.
Our focus for Spring 2 is data and information, where we will learn about grouping data.